A Message from Principal Julia Hynes
Just some of the many staff members who made this year so wonderful!
Dear PS 145 Community,
I hope you are all having a restful and enjoyable summer. As we plan for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year, I am reflecting on how difficult yet inspiring this past school year was. Navigating a global pandemic as a new school leader was challenging to say the least, but with the beautiful collaboration of the staff and families of PS 145, we made sure the learning year was safe and productive for our students.
Although we still have some bumps in the road ahead, I am looking forward to the excitement and changes the year will bring. We have many new staff members, new positions, and new programs to better prepare our students to be 21st century citizens, including the following:
- Dedicated theater teacher and continuance of the Disney Theater Grant
- Computer Science teacher and program
- Renewed emphasis on STEAM and Project-based Learning
- Upper Grade Literacy Instructional Coach
- Lower Grade Literacy Intervention Specialist
- Number Talks math routine
- Math Stories routine for making sense of word problems
- Common Into Reading literacy curriculum schoolwide
- Stronger assessments for students in grades K-2 to give us better information about students' needs
- Emphasis on Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Education and Mastery-based grading to encourage better outcomes for all of our students
Of course we will also continue many of the programs that make our school so special, including our Spanish Dual Language program, grades Pre-K-5, our art partnership with Studio in a School, and our rich Early Childhood program that includes 3-K and Pre-K.
In partnership with our families and staff, I know we can make this year a memorable one for our students. I am optimistic that this year will include more in person experiences and more magical events like our Story Walk that took place in the year last May. Although we are still in the midst of a pandemic, we must remember that our students are in the midst of their childhood, and we must do everything we can to ensure that they are nurtured, challenged, and loved. Thank you to everyone for your continued support in this endeavor. See you in September!
All the best,