Fundations- Phonics Program
What is it?
It is a phonics, spelling, and handwriting program for K-3 students. Fundations works on letter recognition and letter sounds. It works on phonemic awareness, letter recognition, and letter-sound relationships. Students bridge their skills into phonics where they are blending sounds into words.
What are its benefits?
· Gains in oral reading fluency.
· Improvement in phonemic awareness.
· Improvement in sound decoding.
· Gains in basic reading skills.
· Reduction in risk of later reading difficulties.
How reading coaches support this program at PS 145?
They help the teachers gain an understanding of instruction, curriculum, and assessment. Workshops are provided to teachers to learn how to use the program.